Sunday, July 16, 2017

Women in the Scriptures Challenge : Maid Servant of Morianton

Book of Mormon

Maid Servant of Morianton

Alma 50:30-31

30 - and behold they would have carried out this plan into effect, (which would have been a cause to have been lamented) but behold, Morianton being a man of much passion, therefore he was angry with one of his maid servants, and he fell upon her and beat her much.
31 - and it came to pass that she fled, and came over to the camp of Moroni, and told Moroni all the things concerning the matter, and also concerning their intentions to flee into the land northward.

I can't even tell you how many times I have read (or studied in class) the war chapters, but I know it has been a lot. However, if you had asked me a couple days ago who the maid servant of Morianton was, I wouldn't be able to tell you. How have I looked over this incredibly brave woman over and over again?

This is why I am so thankful for this challenge! It makes me look more intently for these amazing, and clearly overlooked women. 

I can not imagine what she went through the day she was beat. It must have been so painful and must have left her bruised and bleeding. The scriptures say Morianton "beat her much." It seriously broke my heart to read that, especially because too many women today still go through this. She, (the maid servant) thankfully was brave enough to flee, and seek for a better place. I don't know how far away Moroni's camp was, but I assume it was pretty far on foot. Bruised and in pain with probably little supplies she kept going. She must have felt so relieved to find help in Moroni's camp. There she was able to lay out Morianton's entire plan.

When we find ourselves in bad situations we need to follow the maid servant's example and leave! It could be leaving a party, turning off the TV, or turning away from an ongoing temptation. Go find someone who can help and trust in the Lord.

Questions for the Maid Servant of Morianton : What happened next? Where did life take you? Did you know the impact your story would have thousands of years later?

these are my own opinions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Games we Played in February 2022

  February was a big game month for our family. Lilly Belle and I both discovered a love for board games and that left us wanting to play on...