Tuesday, November 22, 2016

~ Beck's Birth Story ~



On Thursday November 10th, I went to my 38 week doctor's appointment. I was almost 4 cm dilated and 70% effaced. This was very exciting news because I had never been more than 1 cm at that time in my previous pregnancies. The doctor decided to strip my membranes (which really is not fun at all!) She was confident that this would kick start my labor. For the rest of the day I felt some cramping but nothing more.                                                                                                                                                                             On Friday, I had a strong feeling that I needed to get organized. I picked up some last minute supplies and packed my hospital bag. That afternoon, I started to feel those contractions start. They weren't strong and quite far apart, but I knew it was the beginning of something.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 At 3am Saturday morning, I woke up to an intense contraction. I decided to begin timing them (which I later found out that I suck at) and see how long I could labor at home. I forgot how painful those contractions were. Around 12:30pm, I thought my water may be leaking (it wasn't) so I called the labor and delivery and decided to head over and get checked out. 


There was a whole mix of emotions during the 10 minute drive to the hospital. I was relieved that this pregnancy was coming to an end, excited about finally meeting this little guy, nervous about labor and delivery, and overwhelmed with how quickly this was all happening.                                                                                                                                                      When I arrived at labor and delivery, I was hooked up to the machine so they could monitor contractions. The nurse was surprised that they were coming every minute to a minute and a half (because I told her they were six to seven minutes apart,) and even more shocked by how well I was handling them. She said I was 5cm and ready to be officially admitted to a room. She put in the order for an epidural and put Aaron and I in our room.                                                                                                                       From that moment on everything went by really fast. I got the epidural, my water broke and then around 4:20 I was ready to push! I remember looking at Aaron and saying we just got here and now we are going to meet him! It didn't seem real. Five pushes later he was placed on my stomach. He was absolutely perfect.





Beck weighed in at 8 pounds 9 ounces and 19 inches long. He is the perfect addition to our little family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Games we Played in February 2022

  February was a big game month for our family. Lilly Belle and I both discovered a love for board games and that left us wanting to play on...