Tuesday, May 13, 2014

~ Book Review : Pushing the Limits ~

Book Twenty Four : Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry

"What do you want to hear? That I'm exhausted? Terrified? Confused? That all I want to do is rest my head on your chest and sleep for hours, but that is not going to happen because you're leaving me?"

"Yes," he said quickly, then just as quick said, "No. Everything but the last part." He paused, "Echo, how could you think I would leave you? How could you doubt how I feel?

"Because," I said as I felt the familiar twisting in my stomach. "You saw me lose it. You saw me go insane."

The muscles in his shoulders visibly tensed. "I watched you battle against the worst memory of your life and I watched you win. Make no mistake, Echo. I battled right beside you. You need to find some trust in me. . . in us." Noah inhaled and slowly let the air out, His stance softened and so did his voice. "If you are scared, tell me. If you need to cry and scream then do it. And you sure as hell don't walk away from us because you think it would be better for me. Here's the reality, Echo : I want to be by your side. If you want to go to the mall stark naked so you can show the world your scars, then let me hold your hand. If you want to see your Mom, then tell me that, too. I may not always understand, but damn, baby, I'll try."


So wrong for each other …and yet so right.

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal. 

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible. 

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.

My Thoughts : Much like Maybe Someday, I was completely gripped with the story from the very first chapter.  I can get a little frustrated with stories told in two people's perspective; however, this story was perfect because of it. It followed a girl named Echo (yes, her name is Echo,) and a guy named Noah. Both are seniors in high school, and both are trying to move on with life. I knew that, as a reader, I would be learning about some tragic back story for both these characters, and I think Katie McGarry did a great job on when, and how much information she gave us. These back stories progressed with the story, and with their character development. 

I loved learning about Echo's story along side her. She can't remember the details on how she got these really "ugly" scars, and as the book progresses she learns more and more abut it. I found Echo to have enormous courage. She got out of bed and went to school, knowing that others gossiped and whispered about her constantly. I really felt for her because all she wanted was "normal." 

Noah's story came in pieces as well. Katie McGarry told me enough to peak my interest then moved on. Even after I found out Noah's story, I was still waiting to see what would happen. His last few chapters had me in tears. It was wrote really beautifully. 
Noah is that bad boy who isn't actually a bad boy. He had been labeled a bad boy and so I felt like he just went with it. I love that Echo brought light and love back into his life. She gave him a reason to be better, to try harder, and to fight for a future. Noah did use a lot of cursing, so be warned.  

There were so many amazing lines in this book that I honestly  felt like I was melting into the book; for example, 'His lips curved into a sexy smile and I became lost in him. “I love you, Echo Emerson.” I whispered the words as he brought his lips to mine. “Forever.”' I LOVE IT!!!! And this one,  "Her shoulders never shook. No tears streamed down her face. The worst type of crying wasn’t the kind everyone could see–the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived. For people like me and Echo, our souls contained more scar tissue than life.”  I am truly the biggest sucker for these kinds of books. 

If you like these boy meet girl, they fall in love romance books then pick this one up. It is classed as young adult but again there is a bit of language and sexual content in there; however, I stilled loved it!

”Tell me you chose me, Echo.”…
“I chose you.”…
“You will never regret it. I promise.” 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Games we Played in February 2022

  February was a big game month for our family. Lilly Belle and I both discovered a love for board games and that left us wanting to play on...