Friday, January 24, 2014

~ Women in the Scripture Challenge : Lot's Wife ~

Old Testament

Lot's Wife

Genesis 19:26 - "But his wife looked back from behind him, and she became a pillar of salt."
Luke 17:32 - "Remember Lot's wife."

I just wanna scream, "DON'T LOOK BACK!" It was so simple! Why did she look back? Elder Bruce R. McConkie said, "Look not back to Sodom and the wealth and luxury you are leaving. Stay not in the burning house, in the hope of salvaging your treasures, lest the flame destroy you; but flee, flee to the mountains. Seek temporal things and lose eternal life; sacrifice the things of this life and gain eternal life." -old testament student manual page 76 

I love how Elder McConkie is warning all of us not to only seek temporal things that we forget about the spiritual things. Do we have "favourite sins" that we just aren't willing to give up yet? Are there things in our life that are holding us back from attaining eternal life? I know in my own life, for example, I love going on Pinterest. Now this isn't a bad thing; however going on Pinterest for say two hours and in turn not having tome to read my scriptures isn't good. What are we willing to let go to know our Heavenly Father better? A favourite tv show? A sporting event taking place on a Sunday? Social status? etc . . .  Let us not do as Lot's wife did and "look back" on temporal things, but learn to let go and strive to do better. 

Elder Jeffery R. Holland gave a wonderful talk (which I'll link here) about remembering Lot's wife. He said, "It is possible that Lot’s wife looked back with resentment toward the Lord for what He was asking her to leave behind. We certainly know that Laman and Lemuel were resentful when Lehi and his family were commanded to leave Jerusalem. So it isn’t just that she looked back; she looked back longingly. In short, her attachment to the past outweighed her confidence in the future. That, apparently, was at least part of her sin."

I also thought about Laman and Lemuel when I read about Lot's wife. Reminding me that I need to continue to develop my testimony so I don't lack faith in my Heavenly Father and his plan for me. 


one of my favourite talks by Dallin H. Oakes - Good, Better, Best




picture from wikipedia


No comments:

Post a Comment

Games we Played in February 2022

  February was a big game month for our family. Lilly Belle and I both discovered a love for board games and that left us wanting to play on...