Wednesday, January 15, 2014

~ Book Review : Shatter Me ~

Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


"you can't touch me," I whisper. I'm lying, is what I don't tell him. He can touch me, is what I'll never tell him. Please touch me, is what I want to tell him.
But things happen when people touch me. Strange things. Bad things. 
Dead things.

No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal, but The Reestablishment has plans for her. Plans to use her as a weapon. But Juliette has plans of her own. After a lifetime without freedom, she's finally discovering a strength to fight back for the very first time—and to find a future with the one boy she thought she'd lost forever.

My Thoughts: If you like X-Men then you will probably like this book. Several times I thought this book sounded like a prequel to an X-Men movie. This book follows Juliette, a girl who has a lethal touch. After accidentally killing a little boy, she was taken away from society. She has always thought of herself as a monster but over the course of this book she'll find out just how powerful she really is. I loved Juliette. I think she started of so weak and helpless but really grew throughout the course of the book. I love that even though the people closest to her didn't appreciate her, and were mean to her, instead of revenge she still believes there is good in the world. She doesn't want to use her power as a weapon to hurt people. I just loved that sweetness about her.

The love interest was played by Adam. Adam knew Juliette years ago because they went to school together. Adam has always loved Juliette but never told her, then when she was taken away he wanted to find her. I like Adam but I feel like there is more to him then what I've read. I'm still not too sure about him. I'm really hoping his story evolves in the next book. But one thing is for sure he loves Juliette. 

Then there is Warner. Warner was such a creepy character. He is obsessed with Juliette and her power. He wants them to team up and use it against people, to torture enemies and things like that. I believe, he is head of an army and Adam is one of his solders. Bu, Adam is only there to help find Juliette and now he going to help her escape from Warner so he and Juliette can be together. We find out in the book that Warner and Adam have something quite big in common when it comes to Juliette. . . . . very intriguing. I'm sure Warner's obsession with Juliette will continue throughout the trilogy.

Of course, in all dystopian books there is always a rebellion forming and Adam and Juliette end up finding a safe place with the rebellion. It is called Omega Point and it is an undergroud refuge for those like Juliette. Yes, there are others who are also gifted with other powers and this is where the book comes to an end.

Overall, I really enjoyed the book. I really loved the writing style. It was wrote like you were reading Juliette's dairy. I felt that because of it the book was really fast paced and I got to jump around from thought to thought with Juliette. I think this book was full of strong characters. I am itching to read book two.  I really recommend this book to everyone especially if you are a fan of movies like X-Men.

this book did contain a couple swear words

image from goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Games we Played in February 2022

  February was a big game month for our family. Lilly Belle and I both discovered a love for board games and that left us wanting to play on...