Monday, January 6, 2014

~ Book Review : Frostbite ~

Book Three : Frostbite by Richelle Mead
 (Vampire Academy book two)


"The last guardian was a woman. Her auburn hair was cropped and curly, and her brown eyes were currently narrowed in thought. As I've said, a lot of dhampir women choose to have children rather than follow the guardian path. Since I too was one of the few women in this profession, I was always excited to meet other - like Tamara.
Only this wasn't Tamara. This was someone I'd known for years, someone who triggered anything but pride and excitement. Instead, I felt resentment. Resentment, anger, and burning outrage.
The woman standing in front of the class was my mother."

It's winter break at St. Vladimir's, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy's crawling with Guardians--including Rose's hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand to- hand combat with her mom wasn't bad enough, Rose's tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason's got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks.... This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.

But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price... 

My Thoughts : I loved Vampire Academy so much that I think I put very high expectations on this book. I did find it to be a little slow in some points but I still really enjoyed it. The ending was both sad and wonderful and absolutely breathtaking. 
Rose really grew as a character over the course of this book. In the first chapter Rose has to go for a qualifier (an interview novices have to take.) When her and Dimitri arrive at the home where her qualifier will take place, they quickly realize something is wrong. The dhampir Rose is suppose to meet with was murdered, and so was the family he was the guardian for. Something was different about this strigoi attack - they had help from humans. Because of this Moroi and dhampir from the academy stay together over Christmas break at a protected ski resort. After another strigoi attack happens in Washington, things start getting intense. This is where the book really takes off. There was no way I could put the book down until I found out how it all ended.

I loved Rose's character development in this book. She learned about bravery and the reality of her profession. I loved the relationship between her and her mother. It started out awkward and pretty intense but it really developed well. I think it was beautiful how she needed her mother after the strigoi kill someone she cares about. That scene was heartbreaking. I had a thought that it would happen but I didn't want it too. I knew it would be Dimitri who would pry her away from the dead body; however, it was her mother she needed to be able to grieve. It was so beautifully written. Then came the end scene!!!! OH MY WORD!!! IT WAS PERFECT!!!

Overall I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend this book to those who enjoyed the first book. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Games we Played in February 2022

  February was a big game month for our family. Lilly Belle and I both discovered a love for board games and that left us wanting to play on...